Bank of Wisconsin Dells was chartered on February 10, 1910, and began operating as the Farmers & Merchants State Bank located on the corner of Broadway and Elm Street in Wisconsin Dells, WI. In 1911, the bank relocated to a building on the west side of Superior Street which subsequently led to a move, in 1923, to a remodeled building located at the corner of Broadway and Oak Street.
In 1944, Farmers & Merchants State Bank took over the assets of Kilbourn State Bank, an institution established in 1884, and again relocated to the corner of Broadway and Superior Street.
In 1960, the Farmers & Merchants State Bank broke ground at what is now our current location, 716 Superior Street, and the initial building was completed in 1961. At this time, our bank facility was considered one of the most modern, functional buildings in the state of Wisconsin.
In June of 1969, Farmers & Merchant State Bank became Bank of Wisconsin Dells and the tradition of BWD began.
In October of 2007, Three years after conception, Bank of Wisconsin Dells completed the newest phase of the facility remodel which included a separate drive up to better accommodate walk up and drive through traffic.
The Lake Delton branch was opened in 1968, moved to its present location on the corner of Adams and Judson Streets in 1971, and has since been remodeled and enlarged.
A second full-service branch (Community Bank of Portage) was opened in Portage in July of 1996, and had its first building expansion in 2001. The Portage branch is located on New Pinery Road.
- Environmental Concerns Drive Bank's Building Project (Community Bankers of Wisconsin) - 2008
- BWD Refreshes Look with Help from La Macchia Group (LaMacchia Group) - 2008
A sketch of what would become the Farmers & Merchants State Bank, NOW Bank of Wisconsin Dells.
Our original location in Wisconsin Dells which would one day become the home of Nig's Bar.
Farmers & Merchant (eventually BWD) Bank in Downtown Wisconsin Dells.
2007 Ground Breaking for our Current location and facilities.