ATM and Debit Card Safety
Using your ATM or debit card is a simple, hassle-free way to get cash, make deposits, check account balances, transfer funds, make purchases and more. To enjoy the many conveniences electronic banking offers, you should make ATM and debit card safety a priority. Here are some important safety tips:
- Treat your card like cash. Always store your card in a safe place.
- Keep your PIN a secret. Memorize your PIN and never write it on or store it with your card. Never let someone else enter your PIN for you.
- Do not disclose information about your card over the telephone
- Never disclose information about your card in response to an unsolicited email or request.
- Make certain your Internet shopping sites are secure.
- Protect your card's magnetic stripe
- Report a lost or stolen card at once
- Review your account statements for unauthorized transactions
- Always observe the ATM surroundings before conducting a transaction
- If an ATM is obstructed from your view or poorly lit, go to another ATM
- It is a good idea to take another person with you when using an ATM, especially at night.
- Minimize the time spent at the ATM when conducting a transaction
- Block the view of others when using the ATM
- If you see anyone or anything suspicious, cancel your transaction and leave the area at once
- Look for possible fraudulent devices attached to the ATM